The chronicles of adding raw food to my diet

On this blog, I'll post about the transition to a more raw food based diet. Check back often for posts on raw foods that I'm eating!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

I'm sure most of you reading this know what a CSA is, but for those who do not, it is Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, it is a way that you can get involved with your local farms, by buying a "share" of the farm. Most farms either deliver to you once a week, or you go to the farm to pick up a cut of what the farm is harvesting that week. It is hands down, the best way to get the freshest produce out there (short of growing it yourself). For more information about farms in your area that offer CSAs, check out localharvest.org.
The farm that I have been a member of for years is Stillman's Farm. It is a family run farm out of Western, Mass that offers both a produce CSA and a meat CSA. I am as proud to support both CSAs as I am honored to support them. Their produce and meats are exemplary and I am excited each week to get my share....(the meat pick-ups are once a month and the CSA runs through the entire year).
So, it's probably not too late to check out if there is a farm in your area that offers a CSA program. Look into it, you will not be disappointed, especially if you are shelling out cash a couple times a week to Whole Foods or some other store. If you were to buy the amount of fresh, local and conscientiously grown food that you get from the farm at Whole Foods I guarantee you'd be spending far more than what your share will cost you. It's worth it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment