The chronicles of adding raw food to my diet

On this blog, I'll post about the transition to a more raw food based diet. Check back often for posts on raw foods that I'm eating!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Dried Apple Chips

Fall is apple season and I'm feeling the apple love. After becoming inundated with apples from a visit to the apple farm, I needed to use them up. I decided to make some apple chips in the dehydrator.
I used my spirulizer to make ultra thin slices, using the flat blade.

I sliced up 5 apples. To the apples I added the juice of a lemon, a few shakes of pumpkin pie spice and a short drizzle of agave syrup.
The pumpkin pie spice from Trader Joe's is a mix of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, lemon peel, cardamom and nutmeg. It goes nice with the tang of the lemon and the sweetness of the agave and the apples. The lemon juice keeps the apples from turning brown when dehydrating.

I laid the apples out on the dehydrator trays, not worrying too much about getting a single layer and dehydrated the apples for about 20 hrs.
Here is what the finished apples looked like:


The apples were crispy and delicious with a hint of spice. My kids ate them up, so there's proof that they tasted good :)
Enjoy - try something raw today!

No comments:

Post a Comment