The chronicles of adding raw food to my diet

On this blog, I'll post about the transition to a more raw food based diet. Check back often for posts on raw foods that I'm eating!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Raw Hot and Sour Soup

This past week I enjoyed a raw hot and sour soup, interpreted from a recipe by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray, co-authors of the 30 Minute Vegan. Their recipes were highlighted in last month's Vegetarian Times.
One change I made was the addition of coconut water in place of regular water. I happened to have a young coconut, and wanted to use it, so I added in the water (the meat I used in a raw cocoa pudding, which was off the hook good)....
I also used smoked paprika instead of cayenne pepper, which isn't raw, but is so delicious. If you've read my Thyme To Cook blog, you know that I call smoked paprika my secret weapon.

The one ingredient I was curious about in the recipe was dried apricots. I have to say, that the apricot was the "secret weapon" of this recipe. The addition of the sweet, yet sour apricot was what made the soup. You had to soak the apricots to rehydrate them prior to blending. Another change to the recipe included using the soaking water of the apricots as part of the total liquid needed. That way I retained the flavor and any nutrients that might have floated out while soaking.

Here is my interpretation of the recipe:
1/2-3/4 cup mung bean sprouts
3-4 TBS Nama Shoyu (raw soy sauce)
5-6 organic, unsulphured, dried apricots, soaked in 1 cup warm water
Water from 1 young thai coconut (usually ~ 1 or 1.5 cups), meat saved for another recipe
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 TBS raw apple cider (unpasteurized)
2 tsp peeled, minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup diced cucumber or zucchini
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 TBS fresh lime juice
2-4 TBS chopped cilantro
1 TBS raw agave nectar
1/4 tsp smoked paprika (or cayenne)

1. Soak apricots in warm water, saving that soaking water.
2. Marinate mung sprouts in the nama shoyu and set aside.
3. Place apricots, tomatoes, scallions, vinegar, ginger, in high speed blender or food processor.
4. Measure out thai coconut water, apricot soaking water and bring total volume up to 3 cups with filtered water. Add to blender.
5. Blend up ingredients until smooth.
6. Transfer to serving bowl and stir in jalapeno, cuke or zuke, lime juice, cilantro, agave and smoked paprika (or cayenne).



I let the soup sit @ room temp for a couple hours before eating it, but you could heat in a double boiler until just warm to the touch.
If you don't have a double boiler, here's a technique you could do to warm up the soup.
Put a small amount of water in a small saucepan and put on medium heat. Place soup in a bowl which can be placed over the saucepan. Slowly heat the soup, stirring, and placing finger into it. Take the soup off the heat once the soup is warm to your finger.
Remember, raw, "living" foods should not be heated above the range of 105-118.
Sorry for the not so great pics...I just couldn't capture the soup the way I wanted to w/my iphone...gotta get a new camera (or break out my old one...hmm..where is that since we've moved???)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment