The chronicles of adding raw food to my diet

On this blog, I'll post about the transition to a more raw food based diet. Check back often for posts on raw foods that I'm eating!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Raw Blueberry Tart with Cashew Cream and Apricot Kernel Crust

It's the heart of blueberry season so I decided to make a blueberry tart. I used apricot kernels for the crust and a sweet cashew cream for the filling....

Have you tried apricot kernels? Basically, they are the inside of the pit of the apricot. Historically, they have not been consumed because they are known to have cyanide in them. However, you'd have to eat a whole bag of them to get cyanide poisoning. Apricot kernels are high in Vitamin B17, or Laetrile and are said to have a direct correlation to low incidence of cancer. Nutrition wise, they are packed with heart healthy fats.
For the entire tart, I used 1 cup and soaked them overnight. I then processed them with ~1 cup Medjool dates, cinnamon, juice of 1/2 a lemon and a pinch of Himalayan sea salt and pressed the dough into a tart pan (one with a removable bottom). I put it into the freezer to set up overnight.


For the filling, I used a basic cashew cream. The recipe is something like this:
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
2-4 TBS coconut water
1/4-1/2 cup coconut meat
2 TBS agave syrup
1 TBS yacon syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla
pinch Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
Take all ingredients and blend together in a high speed blender....that's it.

After blending, I spread the cashew cream in the tart and let it set up for a bit in the freezer.

To finish the tart off you could really use any fruit. I used blueberries today because I happen to have a whole bunch from the farm. It's nice to take some time and arrange the fruit to look pretty...I just kind of dumped them on and spread them out...I was too hungry to take time and since the tart was just for me and my family (as opposed to being for family and friends), I didn't take too much care.

The tart is truly delicious. The creaminess of the filling and the sweetness of the crust rounded out by the earthy berries, mmmm, so delicious...and the best thing...this is raw! and dairy free! Amazing!


Enjoy! Try something raw today!
NOTE: This tart is best kept in the freezer...

No comments:

Post a Comment