The chronicles of adding raw food to my diet

On this blog, I'll post about the transition to a more raw food based diet. Check back often for posts on raw foods that I'm eating!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Raw Carrot Cake Cookies

These raw cookies are delish! I developed the recipe so that I could use the carrot pulp from making carrot juice, as well as the almond meal from making almond milk. I always feel a bit guilty if I don't use up both, so this solves that problem.

The recipe is pretty basic and includes raw oats, dates, almond milk, carrot pulp, vanilla, a bit of salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
First off, the raw oats need to be soaked overnight. When ready to use, place in food processor with dates and process. The mix should be pretty moist. If it isn't, then try adding a few drops of water.

After the oats and dates are combined, add in the almond meal and carrot pulp. Process to combine, then add the vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, then process once more.

After processing everything together, you should have a nice soft, moist but not sticky dough to make into cookies.
I use a small scooper to scoop out the cookies for dehydrating. They are pretty small and around 50 fit on 1 Excalibur dehydrator sheet.
Dehydrate at 105 for approximately 8-10 hrs. The final cookie should be firm on the outside and soft on the inside.
Here is the recipe (with some crude measurements)
1 cup raw oats, soaked overnight, then drained and rinsed
1.5 cups dates, pits removed
1.5 cups almond meal (I used meal that was dehydrated and processed to a powder in the food processor)
1 cup carrot pulp from making carrot juice
1 TBS pure vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch fresh grated nutmeg
Pinch sea salt

See instructions above :)

Enjoy! Try something raw today!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for sharing. One of my fans posted this on my facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Green-Smoothie-Challenge/169626883849?ref=ts
    THought you might like to know:) I'm Maria from www.thegreensmoothiechallenge.com Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful recipes!!!!

    Holly
    www.rawkstarlivingfoods.blogspot.com
    www.rawkstarlivingfoods.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE carrot cake--this recipe has me hankering to make my own cake!!! Thanks a bunch for hosting!

    regards,
    cleo of Attorneys Anchorage Alaska

    ReplyDelete